Youth party denounces continuing drug war, census of ‘bakwit school’

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Kabataan Partylist today joined youth groups as they march to condemn the continuing state fascism under the Duterte regime. This is as various government agencies are set to “census” the bakwit school established by the Lumad earlier this month.

“Duterte has started wars he cannot finish,” Kabataan Partylist Rep. Sarah Elago said.

Continuing martial law and threats to Lumad

The youth party condemns the continued threats on the lives of our Lumad brothers.

“His regime spits as many airstrikes as his cuss words. Daily threats of bombs have resulted to the killing of citizens in Mindanao and the forced evacuation of the rest. The US even seems to want in, through their plans of “assistance” operations in the Mindanao siege.”

“Lumad communities have gone ‘bakwit’ in Manila to continue their classes at their ‘bakwit school.’ Now, the AFP, in collusion with the NCIP, wants to “census” the “bakwit school” in their vain attempts to pressure them to leave,” Elago said.

War on drugs

The youth party also condemned the President’s enabling and admiration of the killings under the war on drugs.

“His war on drugs is quickly failing. From strong pronouncements to end the drug war in 3 to 6 months, Duterte, scratching his head in frustration, frankly admits he cannot end this war.”

“He blatantly refuses to face the roots of poverty and criminality, and instead persists on measuring his ‘achievements’ by how many bodies his regime have killed. The body count of 12,000 is increasing fast. He even acclaimed the recent killing of 32 drug users in Bulacan, saying “that’s good.” In desperation, he sought marching orders to kill human rights defenders as well. What madness,” Elago said.

“He even wishes to target the youth by enabling options for schools to enforce mandatory drug testing as a requirement for admission and enrolment in college, as well as random drug testing in high schools,” Elago added.

Continued call to action

“No matter who his targets are, it is the people who lose. No one else benefits but US imperialism and its operatives in the military, Cabinet and Houses. Solons are scrambling to benefit from the aid and infrastructure projects the US, China, and Russia are pouring in the country, especially in Marawi and the rest of Mindanao.”

“The people are more determined than ever to oppose the fascist US-Duterte regime. Now, more than ever, we must march to call for an end to these wars that are going nowhere. The intensifying fascism will not silence the Filipino people in their call for a just and humane society,” Elago ended. ###